The 4x4 Trail has an average degree of difficulty and takes you up to 2240m above sea level. The turning point is right at the Matroosberg Peak, the highest point in the Boland. There is a 7 km circular route at the top of the mountain taking you past spectacular rock formations. This part is more challenging, but as an alternative, an escape route can be followed. The route takes you right to the snow, and after a good snowfall, the southern slopes remain snow-clad for quite some time. The presence of snow turns a 4x4 drive during winter into a unique experience and challenge. During high demand snow periods the cut-off time for entry onto the trail is 11:00, in order to have one way traffic going up in the morning. 4x4’s may not turn back before 13:00. This ensures one-way traffic coming down in the afternoon. Apart from the trail up the mountain, there is a 4x2 trail leading to rock pools for swimming, a challenging 4x4 trail along the river bed and a 4x4 practice area (obstacle course).
Permits can be obtained at the reserve. 4x4 Vehicles will be allowed entry without prior reservation, starting at day-break (should you want to start earlier, arrangements can be made). Allow 6 hours for the drive, as well as at least another hour to enjoy the view from different vantage points. Zero Tolerance Policy will be enforced on all 4x4 drivers, for the trail is in a sensitive mountain area. The total distance is 30 km.
Vehicle R250, R55 per person, R35 children 3-13
PRICES MAY CHANGE WITHOUTH PRIOR NOTICE.
WE DO NOT RENT 4X4 VEHICLES.
NO MOTORBIKES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE MATROOSBERG 4X4 TRAIL.
- All 4x4’s need to have their permits NO later than 11am and depart immediately, their is NO time for coffee before you leave. Also, if you start the trail close to closing time, you cannot stop for pictures or get out and stretch your legs, as you need to reach the turning point before 13:00.
- Every person in each vehicle will be required to wear an identification bracelet. Not negotiable. Same apply for residential guests.
- Turn around time at top of mountain is NOT before 13:00 or shortly after the last vehicle reached the top. Time is NOT guaranteed, as break downs or struggling vehicles needs to be cleared of the road first.
- Adhere to Marshall’s advice at ALL times, remember, they are trained and qualified to do the job and your safety is their first priority.
- At the viewpoint it is important to adhere to Marshall’s instructions and signage… people have died up there, be cautious, don’t cross the line of warning signs, don’t run after any object that might be slipping towards the edge. Watch your children AND your dogs.
- Respect other road users.
- Gates will NOT open before 7am.
- 8. It can get really busy at reception especially when there is ground level snow, hikers can cause 4x4’s to miss the entry time to the trail… to avoid this, you have a JUMP THE Q OPTION… but only if you book in advance… send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will reply with a list of details we need to complete your permit, you will receive an invoice, do eft payment, send proof of payment to our office… on arrival, all you need to do is run on the fast lane, sign your indemnity, collect your Day pass bracelets and off you go. Bear in mind that having a pre-booked permit will not gain you entry to the trail after 11am… it’s not a VIP ticket, it’s only a fast lane.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I CAN’T MAKE IT?
Don’t worry, your permit will stay valid until 31/12/18.
WHAT IF THE SNOW IS ALL MELTING FAST
You can decide to come during the next snowfall, for your permit stays valid.
WHAT IF THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE CHANGED?
You can either pay for extra people in cash or we could refund for those who did not join you.
You cannot book a Jump the Q permit on the same day as your arrival – this service is for advanced bookings only.
During busy weekend, we will only be able to attend to e-mails after hours, so it might happen that you don’t get an immediate response!
- During snow storms, we are often left without electricity… this may result in unanswered phone calls. We run our e-mails from a generator, so best to make contact, would then be via e-mail to email@example.com or follow our Facebook page Matroosberg Reserve – and if there was no new recent update, it means that conditions are unchanged.
- We are really trying our best to accommodate all our loyal guests and wish you a pleasant time with us, but it might be that conditions out of our control or acts of God will force us to speed things up or slow them down. Whatever the case – remember, ALL staff are formally trained and have years of experience and we will NOT leave you in the mountain any longer than need be, or rush you down if there is a severe weather change. If you don’t see us, it means we are busy sorting out a problem on the trail in order to get you down safely.
- During power failures we will not be able to accept any card transactions, so it’s always wise to carry some cash… Snow always comes with a storm, with some extend of damage.
- All wheel drive vehicles are NOT suitable for this trail, as to definitely need low range and good ground clearance. Examples of vehicles that would not make it on the 4x4 trail: Q3, Q5, Q7, X3, X5, Subaru Forrester, Freelanders, Land Rover Evoque, Dusters, X-trail, VW Tiquan.
- Matroosberg could not be held responsible for any Acts of God and might have to make split second decisions, as your safety is our priority.
- We trust that you will encounter nothing of all the possibilities mentioned here and that you will have a safe journey and an unforgettable day.
- Remember to post your pics on our Facebook page and join the Play Matroosberg FB page, where we will give away free accommodation OR activities on a weekly basis… nothing beats the feeling of winning!!
- Reception has moved from the owners house to a new building on your left, shortly after the gate. Do NOT go to the house, you will have to fall back into the line.
- At all times respect nature, deflate your tyres to save our trail.
- All wheel drive vehicles, Q5 and other soft riders are NOT 4x4 vehicles.
- Your vehicle will need a low range and diff lock might help.
- NO 2-wheeler motorbikes will be able to get a permit to the 4x4 trail.
- Remember to bring your picnic lunch, might be a long day, Dry socks and shoes for kids, enough warm clothes, proper shoes for mountain and snow conditions, sunblock, camera, love and joy.